The Senior Process Safety Engineer is a critical position designed to apply technical
capabilities towards evaluating, managing and quantifying potential process safety
incidents. This position is a critical role at the site in managing process safety risks at the site
and preventing adverse impacts and incidents.
• Providing daily support on Process Safety related issues in the Refinery.
• Providing daily risk management at the site by participating in proposed
Management of Change scope reviews to determine potential hazards and
• Supporting compliance at SASREF by reviewing and supporting the Process Safety
Management system and ensuring all regulatory requirements are met.
• Acting as a Technical Authority and Subject Matter Expert on all things related to
• Facilitating site Unit Process Safety reviews (PHA’s).
• Acting as the Subject Matter Expert on issues related to Relief Valves and Flare design
at the Refinery.
• Conducting HAZOP’s and LOPA’s as necessary.
• Developing and managing Line of Defence (LOD) Process Safety Assurance
• Participating in and conduct Process Effectiveness Reviews on SASREF’s Process
Safety Elements on an as needed basis.
• Providing Process Safety Report to incident investigations for major incidents that
occur at the Refinery.
• Reviewing Major Turnaround Scope and Maintenance scope as needed while acting
as Process Safety SME.
• Providing Process Safety training to office, Operations and Maintenance staff when
needed to improve Process Safety awareness and culture at SASREF.
• Providing guidance and technical mentorship to the organization guiding staff to
improve Process Safety awareness and knowledge.
• Acting as site focal and SME for facility siting related issues.
Workplace (WPS) and Process (PSM) Safety:
• Ensure that measures to protect personal safety and well-being are always in place
and that personal actions do not jeopardize the safety and well-being of others.
• Adhere strictly to all IOWs, Safe Operating Procedures, and Safe Work Instructions –
thus preventing potential WPS and PSM incidents at all times.
• Always comply with the SASREF HSE Policy, the 5 Safety Principles and 12 Golden
• Performance Indicators:
• No personal injury or injury to a third party.
• No WPS or PSM incident caused.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent
• 15 Years’ experience in refining industry with significant experience in Process Safety
position in the oil/gas industry.